Sunday, August 31, 2008

Backtracking
Let me back track a little. In January, I was scheduled for a PET scan. When I went back to the Dr. he said that they found a lymph node that had some metabolic activity, he told me not to worry and then scheduled me for an Ultrasound, the ultra sound came back that I had a fatty lymph node, but the Dr. wanted to repeat the PET scan in June, so following another scan the same lymph node was in questions, I was scheduled for a biopsy (bibospy as I call it). It was suppose to be a ultra sound guided needle biopsy, only they could not locate the lymph node on ultra sound so they whisked me off to a CT machine and they did a CT guided needle biopsy. As you already know the results were cancer. When meeting with my oncologist, it was very different than the first time, its like when you get cancer you follow in a line just like everyone else, you have surgery, chemo, radiation etc. But when it comes back the Dr. don't have a line to follow, which as a patient if not a very good feeling. Dr. Khanuja wanted me to see my surgeon, my radiation oncologist and then they would decide what is the best plan. Dr. Cortesi (surgeon) said, "I can get it" but do I want to, the results of surgery would be definite lymphadema (swelling) in my arm, I could also experience weakness in my right hand, I could also loose the use of my right arm completely, but "I can get it". The ideal thing would be to see my radiation oncologist to see if that area has already been radiated and if he thinks he can get to it. You have know that I love my Dr.'s. But after my visit with her the next day I was to see Dr. Taylor. (radiation) Dr. Taylor said radiation was not an option, he already hit that area as hard as he could. So you see where I was at, I've met with 3 doctors and don't have a plan. If you know me, I like to have a plan. I feel blessed to have the Dr. I have, Dr. Khanuja called me at home and said that the 3 of them would be conferencing together to determine the best plan for me, and that he would be talking to his college's. They suggested surgery, followed by chemo. I wasn't so sure I was ready for that...